This year, Archbishop Ryan will be utilizing Newsela for our Summer Reading. Newsela.com is an education website focused on building student reading comprehension by providing high-quality news articles and real-time assessments for students in grades 2–12.
Newsela’s Summer Reading Clubs encourage students to read online during the summer, keeping their reading skills sharp and exploring topics that interest them. Students can join clubs now, or at any time during the summer.
- Students must join two clubs and read ten articles in each club, for a total of twenty articles.
- Students must complete the quiz for each article.
- Once you complete a Reading Club, you must print the certificate. You will need to hand in two certificates the first week of school.
- Your ELA teacher will have access to your summer quiz results and writing samples. They will be used as a first quarter grade.
All students can join Summer Reading Clubs by going to the Club Link OR by entering the Club Code on their “Account” page (students access their “Account” page by logging into Newsela and clicking their name in the upper right corner).
- Students who will be in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade MUST use their @ryanhs.org email address to access their reading clubs.
- Students entering 9th grade can use their own email address as they will receive their @ryanhs.org email address the first day of school.
For students with mobile devices: Newsela can also be accessed by downloading the Newsela app from iTunes or from the Google Play store.